Navigation thread

The construction of the new Church

noville

Collage of memories collected from Charles KOHLER, Anatole PALIGOT & Antoinette DELSEMME - GILSON...

The work of construction of the new church were attributed to small of Bastogne companies for an amount of...

This is Louis DELSEMME and his men that Mr PETIT entrusted the realization of work. Two survivors of that team, Charles KOHLER and Anatole PALIGOT have agreed to deliver in bulk some memories...

Who were - they?

In addition to Charles and Anatole, the team included in its ranks Joseph LEONARD and his son René, Marcel SCHNEDER, Alphonse DECHAMBRE and Armel PALIGOT, all of Cobru; Alfred and Leon Compogne GEORGES, Jules SCHUMACKER and Victor CORTINA Bourcy.

  • Tonio, good Italian, appreciating the site by his songs and it n ' was not uncommon to see one or the other fan at the foot of the scaffolding, come listen to the artist.
  • Charles, him, was a past master in the art of the whistle. As he stood on his scaffolding alongside the boss, he was often rebuffed by the great Louis who resented the talent of our pinson. "Tech-tu, ès works! '.

A few anecdotes

  • The stones of the facade were a Hardigny career, career that belonged to Louis DELSEMME and which was sold to Mr Jaafar of Houffalize. A large part of the materials were of re-employment (Church and rectory destroyed during the offensive).
  • A thermo wall was constructed on the side of rain.
  • It was Charles who built the base of the steeple and especially the part of the wall where the first stone was sealed.
  • The work of rejointoyage were entrusted Armel and Charles.

The scaffolds were made in wood: they were large related FIR poles to each other to lengthen them.

One can imagine the precariousness of the system and the "bad air" two artists responsible for the work, especially when they were perched at a height of more than 20 meters!

  • To consolidate all, on the advice of Charles, Louis DELSEMME was manufactured by Marcel EVRARD, master blacksmith of Foy, special scrap which should ensure greater security to our acrobats pointers.
  • Note also that buckets of mortar were hoisted on scaffolds using long ropes.
  • The construction of the choir required special care.

A Saturday - at this time, it knew not yet 5 days week, Armel and Charles, on their scaffold, attended the marriage of Roger GIRS and Simone FELTEN by far. When the motorcade returned to the House of bride, (today the House, RAMACHANDRAN), Charles, who had carried his alarm pistol, fired a few shots in honor of the young spouses... Five minutes later, Roger joined our two WAGs on their planks armed with a bottle of peket that they not consumed in moderation!

  • Fortunately, the rounding of the wall not suffered not too.

(The Abbot GLAUDE, who witnessed by far these dangerous libations, tournicotait, worried, at the foot of the scaffolding, had probably found effective prayer to alert the guardian angels of our Masons intrepid!.)

Salary and working conditions

  • The average hourly wage of a Mason was at the time about 25 francs (€6.25).
  • Lunch break (half an hour) was still often abridged; It should be avoided that "mash" hardens and becomes unusable.
  • Louis DELSEMME possessed a monte charge: finished the chore of the bird to mount stones and mortar.

But it was not uncommon to see the great Louis grab one, or even two stones, place them on his shoulder and climb large wood, (manufactured by Jules Müller), ladders that comply dangerously under load.

The guardian angel of Louis often also had cold sweats...
 
And then the rooster crowed...
  • At the end, the masons were associated with the «shaiteux» to show the new cock to the inhabitants of the parish; they did all the families turn to admire the beautiful golden bird and to collect the generous "dringuelles" which enabled them to make a memorable feast.

(Interview by Louis Jennifer Hawa - September 2005)

2003

Excerpt from the 'parish map of Noville' - week of 12-19 August 1973:
"Sunday, August 17: Fancy-Fair of youth of the parish:..." (details for the Organization). This Fancy-Fair will be largely organized to allow to start the implementation of the proposed development in Park-Lawn of the old cemetery of Noville."
From the 'parish map of Noville' - oct/nov 88:
Last year they tried to to the old cemetery of Noville a collected atmosphere by placing an altar and straightening of ancient cross. It would be good to continue development. This place contains the ashes of so many generations that preceded us and it has right to our worship and our respect. Collections made in Noville during Halloween offices will be used to pay the continuation of this development.
From the 'parish map of Noville' - 29/10, 5/11/89:
For two years, we tried to get to the old cemetery of Noville a collected atmosphere in y placing an altar and straightening the old cross. This place contains the ashes of both generation who have gone before us and it has right to our worship and our respect. On the other hand, are now used this place comma altar during the procession of sanit Sacrament and as a starting point of the procession the day of profession of faith. One could also consider the possibility to celebrate mass in the open air during the summer and putting a statue of the Virgin to d (is to recite the Rosary in May. Collections made in Noville during Halloween offices will be used to pay the continuation of development and in particular the purchase of some outer banks.

The altar

The altar table

 

Visited on 09-07 - 89.

A virtually invisible access of the road, (*) accessed behind the houses, on a grassy field of 41 m x 44 m, which dominates the houses below. These are located on the road which coming from the Ets Leroy-Gauthier, down the road to Bastogne in Houffalize, next to the old Raymond Rollus petrol station.

 
 

At the centre is erected an altar of blue stone. On the table (in old stone) of this altar is engraved the following inscription: "this altar table is that of the ancient chapel" (*). It is surmounted by a recent stone also, and framed by two lampstands of stone cross also. Behind this altar had been erected two crosses (*). One the most ancient, is in shale, in pretty good condition, and dates from 1915. Registration is still clearly legible. The other, blue stone, is much more recent, and registration is virtually unreadable. It's about everything!...

 

 

Cross 1

Cross 2

 

starting point of the procession,
agenda of the profession of faith of May 8, 2003.

 

FURTHER INFORMATION:
* It is the beginning of Noville to Bourcy road, still in the town next to no. 34.
Text the altar stone: ' this / is the altar stone / the ancient Church / noville ". This stone of schist, broken edges, is based on a somewhat lesser blue stone based itself on a same stone cube and all on a circular-shaped concrete pad.
Cross 1: 20th S. Illisible blue stone.
Cross 2: 1915 schist. Erected in the memory of the Baldwin family: father + Cobru in 1891 aged 66; mother.. .rnoule + Cobru 1915 at age 40; son François + Brussels in 1915 at the age of 40. Signed monument "Gokhale" of Bastogne. Very good quality and conservation: crucifix carved in the Center and overcoming a winged angel head.