Navigation thread

NOVILLE - December 21, 1944.
(And after the commission of war crimes).

The facts
After the withdrawal of the Americans who defended Noville, German troops entered the village and gathered a score of hostages in its centre. Between 8 and 9 o'clock in the morning, two officers and a non-commissioned officer properly speaking the french questioned villagers about "Résistance".
Among the hostages, "some men were randomly selected and conducted at the town hall to be interrogated. (...) The statement was conducted by a major and an interpreter who were both hallmarks of the S.S. and correctly speak the french.
Finished questioning, the hostages suffered a humiliation free. Taken not far from the main road, they last for a quarter of an hour, picking up mud with hands before be brought back to the communal house where five men, among the youngest, were chosen. "The priest and the teacher had to join them. Others were allowed to return to their homes".
' At a time, the German officer who presided over these operations stole a submachine gun and said the seven victims: 'Place your hands behind your head and follow us'. " A soldier approached his head and asked him in french: "Where do we do this?" "The officer replied in the same language:"We will go there behind", designating the ruins of the maison Grégoire, along the road to Bastogne to Houffalize".
One of the released hostages returned home when he heard snapping a shot. "He turned around and saw stagger the priest of Noville, on which came to shoot the officer commanding the firing squad. At the time where the priest sagged, new gunfire resounded, and six other victims fell in turn'.
Victims
"Here is what were the victims of the massacre of Noville: Messrs. the Abbot Louis Delvaux born in 1894;" Emile Rosière, born in 1910; Auguste Lutgen, born in 1899; René Deprez, born in 1910; Germain Deprez, born in 1915; Romain Henkinet, born in 1905; Roger Beaujean, born 1923.
All these people were killed by a bullet in the neck. They were all stripped of their portfolio". (...) The same day, a young Luxembourgers refractory to military service, Michel Stranen, "was passed by force of arms in the same place".
The culprits
"The villagers are unanimous in declaring the murderers were to be french S.S., because the coat of arms adorning their helmets was painted in French colours. Moreover, some add: "Although the french volunteers were" and that "all the soldiers involved in the massacre spoke fluently the french" a hostage reported that soldiers who captured him "knew all although the french '.
On the evening of this December 21, a German soldier told the municipal Secretary as the "Gestapo" (1) which had executed seven people "because it had found a radio station in the steeple of the Church. (...) There is every reason to believe that this is a created legend for the purposes of this case, which, (...) should be used to justify atrocities (...) "." At Noville as elsewhere, never "the Germans brought the evidence that they had discovered a device of this kind. There was never question during mock interrogations to which they previously astreignirent their victims'
(1) - before the war, and until its middle, the S.S. and Gestapo consisted exclusively of carefully selected Germans. As the German losses increase foreign volunteers in the German ranks, were affected. These units operated on the back of the regular army by eliminating imaginary resistance rather than actual.
The pen of shot
(And after Mr. E. Massen)

Released Noville, Mr. Louis, physician at Bourcy, Lecomte, Mayor of Noville and Massen, Secretary communal f.f., identified the body between 25 and 30 January 1945. These, before be deposited in coffins, were lying, barely covered by Earth, in three holes of 40 centimetres deep.

As the new cemetery - whose construction began in 1943 - was finished, the victims there were immediately buried part and sides of the aisle.
After the exhumation of the body, the three holes remained gaping and in the spring of 1945, out of respect for the memory of shot, the place was temporarily closed barbed wire and holes filled. The return of prisoners of war, Noville being virtually shaved a patriotic ceremony took place at this location. of provisional wooden crosses there were aligned.
Closing deteriorated more and more. Still in shock and after parrying time emergencies, the inhabitants of Noville were of the opinion that he "had to do something".
À l'initiative de l'administration communale, M. l'abbe Glaude, Dean, and the inhabitants of Noville, short unanimously, the final site conservation was decided and the creation of the enclosure as we know it today made in October 1951. The enclosure wall is the work of Louis Dourte, young entrepreneur who procured in the old burial ground grids crowning the wall; Cleo Bemard executed the monument itself; Administration leased the premises for a symbolic franc and took the measures necessary for the conservation of the site. The financing of this memorial was assumed by the villagers themselves.
As American graves in Recogne, adopted by children and their teacher, the enclosure long was the object of their care.